[ZODB-Dev] FileStorage redundant pack error

Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:14:26 +0000

FileStorage currently considers redundant packing to be an error. It rais=
es an=20
exception if the new pack time is earlier than the previous pack time, or=
 if=20
there were no transactions between those two times.

I currently use cron to pack some storages weekly. Occasionally I see thi=
s=20
error if a week goes by without any database changes. I was about to chan=
ge=20
this script to ignore this type of error, when I realised that the curren=
t=20
approach is silly.

Could we (eventually) consider changing this behaviour to simply return? =
Im=20
not sure why the packing operation should appear to fail simly because th=
ere=20
is no work involved in achieving it.

The backwards-compatability paranoia in me suggests that someone might be=
=20
doing things with Data.fs.old, and assuming that a successful pack indica=
tes=20
that one will have been created. Any other reasons against?