[ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Nick Pavlica nick.pavlica@echostar.com
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 16:12:50 -0700

My 2 Cents!

  In theory, Zope versions give "Web Application" developers and=20
administrators allot of power, however in practice the transactional=20
undo/history, copy, paste, and rename functions provide an extream amount=
 of=20
functionality in maintaining applications in the Zope space (other=20
application servers could learn from this).  While Zope is my favorite Py=
thon=20
application to date, the need for good object oriented databases is growi=
ng=20
rapidly.  If ZODB evolves into a "Quality" general purpose database, Zope=
=20
will certainly benefit because the time and energy spent improving the=20
database will increase the performance, scalability, and reliability of Z=
ope,=20
and ZODB based applications.  I feel that the ZODB should become the next=
=20
killer Python application, and could provide host of new opportunities fo=
r=20
the Zope and Python communities.  There are some features that I would li=
ke=20
to have in any database, and hope that in time the ZODB will accomplish t=
hem. =20
All of these features are achievable, and have been done in OO databases =
like=20
Objectivity.  Their db architecture is definitely worth reviewing, it may=
=20
spawn some new ideas in the ZODB development.

ZODB Wishlist:
- Distributed
- Replication
- Data Consistency/Integrity (ACID)
- Multiple Storages (physical and or logical)
- Scaleable (TB +)
- Highest Possible Performance
- Easy to use, maintain, and develop for.=20
- The ability to Query objects.