[ZODB-Dev] How to avoid shooting my foot

Christian Reis kiko@async.com.br
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:57:50 -0300

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 04:59:13PM -0500, Jeff Bauer wrote:
> In ZODB it is necessary to manually mark modified
> objects when objects attributes are modfied in place
> (e.g. lists and dicts).
>
> Q1: Is this a "real world" problem that bites people
> in the buttocks?

"It depends", of course. It has bitten me many times, but I use many
lists and dicts in my objects, so many I am considering moving to
Persistent*.

> Q2: Is it usually easy to figure out when it happens,
> or is the problem difficult to track?  (If the latter,
> any war stories would be appreciated.)

Usually easy to track down, though YMMV. Basically, your changed
attributed doesn't persist its change. From there on it's the same as
any other persistence problem.

Take care,