[ZODB-Dev] zeo, data.fs permissions

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:38:43 -0400

Mark,

I can given you some hints about the questions you.  The crucial one
seems to be: "Why is there a Data.fs in /var/zope/var AND in
/usr/share/zope/var?"  There should only be one Data.fs.

I'm puzzled about where /var/zope/var comes from.  All the details of
the steps you took talk about /usr/share/zope.  Did the other
directory get created as an accident / byproduct of building the Zope
RPMs?  I assume you want to use /usr/share/zope.

It is clear that ZEO is using /usr/share/zope at any rate, since you
found permissions problems.  I guess the question should be: How is
the Zope service getting started?  What code runs when you do
"/sbin/service zope start" and why does it insist on using /var/zope?

Note that Zope has a notion called the instance home, usually
specified by the INSTANCE_HOME environment variable.  The instance
home contains the var and lib (& lib/python &c) directories.  It might
be possible to define INSTANCE_HOME when you start Zope.  I don't know
if that will get passed on by /sbin/service.  There must be some way
to tell Zope what directory to use as its instance home.

Also, you should be able to read the log files in /usr/share/zope/var
to see if ZEO is working correctly.  The server log should contain a
log entry for every connection; like this: "connect from ('127.0.0.1',
12034): ...".

Jeremy