[ZODB-Dev] ZEO signal feature

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:26:45 -0400

  CR> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 12:07:49PM -0400, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
  >> I'm trying to clear out the backlog of ZEO todo items in hopes of
  >> getting another beta release out soon.  I'd like to accommodate
  >> the use cases that lead to the signal code, but I wonder if we
  >> could consider some other alternatives.

  CR> We have been working on a SecureZEO class this week that
  CR> subclasses ClientStorage and the basic Storage. We're trying to
  CR> get a solution that doesn't avoid changing ZEO, but we might
  CR> need to. Can we send patches your way for review, to check if it
  CR> is acceptable for integration?

Yes.  Happy to look at patches, or to review design plans before they
get to the patch stage.

Normally, I'd say that the software has had a beta release, so we're
in feature freeze.  But we're going to bend that rule just this once.
Guido's done a lot of work to improve the cache and ZEO in general.
I'd rather get that code released soon than wait for the 2.0 release
cycle to finish and start a 2.1 release cycle.

The current plan is to do a combined beta release of ZODB3 and ZEO2
within the next few weeks.  We'll release them at the same time and
with the same CVS tag.  You'll still be able to get a separate ZEO
download.  It simplifies version management if we don't have ZEO
releases independent of ZODB releases.

Jeremy