[ZODB-Dev] Error running test.py in zodb3.1b

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:23:23 +0200

At 23:35 2002-09-25 -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
>It was a wild load (a read from a nonsense address).
[snip]

Many thanks for your explanation Tim. I'm not
sure I'm happier now, but at least I feel a
little more enlightened. :)

>You're definitely getting the wild load if you're running ZODB.  Whether it
>harms you or not is much harder to say -- a wild load can pick up anything.
>It only blows up at once if you're lucky <wink>.

So not getting any crashes doesn't mean I'm safe?
There could be subtle corruption of data? :(

> > Do I understand correctly that this function would
> > be called if I for instance did "type(6)(3)"?
>
>No, there's no ExtensionClass involved in that.

I realize that "type(6)(3)" won't cause problems. I
just wondered if I understood correctly that type_call()
is the C function that is called when a type object is
invoked as a function. I imagine it can be used in
code that doesn't look like that, for instance in
C, but that's a bit beyond what I fully grasp...

At 10:07 2002-09-26 -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Where can I learn more about this bug? (Not tonight
> > though. I hope I'll get some sleep despite these
> > news...)
>
>There's nothing more to learn.  Just use the patch.

My software is used by a client who isn't able to
compile C programs, and just wants to use a standard
windows install. (Except for some Pythoneering in
Solaris I've mainly used standard installs myself.)

If I rebuild python here, what do I need to replace
at his location? The python.exe and/or some DLL?

What about 3rd party extensions such as wxPython
or mxDateTime? Am I right in believing that all
thingies compiled for python 2.2.x will be able to
interoperate?

--=20
Magnus Lyck=E5, Thinkware AB
=C4lvans v=E4g 99, SE-907 50 UME=C5