[ZODB-Dev] Weird behaviour on ZEO client

Roché Compaan roche@upfrontsystems.co.za
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 13:34:36 +0200

I'm experiencing very weird behaviour on one ZEO client:

We have a ZEO client in Germany connecting to a ZEO server in South
Africa. The application running on ZEO is a software license manager and
whenever you add a single license for a customer it adds anything from 2
to 8 licenses, not just a single one as requested. There is no pattern
in the number of licenses it adds, but it does seem to have something to
do with the slow connection between the ZEO client and the server. Its
almost as if the transaction times out and starts again, BUT there are
no errors and all licenses end up being committed.

The ZEO client that sits on the same box as the ZEO server does not show
this behaviour and we have been running this app for about 2 years
without ZEO and it has never done this - so I suspect ZEO is involved.

I might add that adding a license involves changes to many objects and
it is quite a big transaction:
    - New license gets added
    - Renewal certificate gets generated
    - Customer status is updated
    - Reminders are set for the password and maintenance expiry
    - Mail is sent to adminstrator

Problem is that I don't have a clue how to debug this one. Is there any
place in the ZEO code where I can insert some logging?

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za