[ZODB-Dev] Re: PartitionedFileStorage

Myroslav Opyr myroslav at zope.net.ua
Sat Apr 26 21:40:41 EDT 2003

Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> Seriously though, what would be the reasons for _not_ including it?
>
> It could incur support costs, and I'd feel really bad if it trashed
> somebody's database because of a pointer miscalculation.  There has
> also been a consensus that it isn't really needed, since the
> alternatives are sufficient.  But I recently saw one case where it
> would have been the perfect solution, so I decided to maintain it some
> more.

I'm going to try it.

If we started speaking of suport. Can we have compatibility map
somewhere? For example compatibility with 2Gb barrier. We ran into a
problem when having  installed ext3 partition and having compiled Python
to support longfilenames. It occured that ext3 still has 2Gb limit. Look
like FAT32 has the problem and ext2 has the problem. NTFS, reiserfs
doesn't have it. You mentioned alternatives. It would be cool to have
them in one central place dedicated to 2Gb problem. If anybody can
provide me with his experience in the problem, I'd volunteer in creating
and supporting such central place.

> Shane
>
> P.S. Please keep daily backups. :-)

Sure.