[ZODB-Dev] High Write Applications

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Aug 4 15:21:26 EDT 2003

At 08:12 PM 8/4/03 +0300, Steve Alexander wrote:
>>The nice thing about a prevalence architecture is that it's dramatically
>>simpler than a persistence architecture, provided you 1) have the memory
>>and 2) don't mind architecting around command classes, and 3) don't mind
>>taking forever for an application to restart.  I have some thoughts about
>>how to make #2 relatively transparent, but #1 and #3 are generally more
>>of an issue.
>
>Would #2 have the side effect that it would be easier to arrange
>disconnected operation of a database?

Well, it makes mirroring and replication easier.  If you're talking
"multiple masters", though, no.  The prevalence architecture's main theme
is simple serialization of transactions, which requires a single
authoritative master.  However, because the commands executed by the master
represent a perfect transaction history, replaying that history to any
number of replicas is near-trivial.