[ZODB-Dev] High Write Applications

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Tue Aug 5 15:52:38 EDT 2003

On Monday 04 August 2003 16:59, Casey Duncan wrote:

> You would divide the filestorage into two files, a read-only file for past
> transactions and a write file for new transactions. At first, you would
> have only the write file. When you pack, the packed transactions would go
> into the read file and a new write file would be started. The index could
> keep track of the file boundary so that, given an oid, the storage could
> figure out which file the current data resides in. These files would be put
> on different drive spindles to improve performance.

I think you should be able to get the same benefit using a filesystem that
supports data journalling, and putting its journal on a seperate device which
is fast at writes.

--
Toby Dickenson - http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson

Want a job like mine?  http://www.geminidataloggers.com/jobs for Software
Engineering jobs at Gemini Data Loggers in Chichester, West Sussex, England