[ZODB-Dev] Using BerkeleyDB

Barry Warsaw barry at zope.com
Tue Aug 12 15:16:29 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 09:58, Harald Koschinski wrote:

> Can you give me please a hint, how to get Zope 2.6.x with
> BerkeleyStorage running - what are the packages I have to use.
> Is there a stable (for production use) running combination of Zope,
> zodb, bsdstorage, zeo  available or is it now a bad time and I have to
> wait for Zope 2.7
> which has all the wonderfull packages like zeo, bsdstorage, dbtab
> included.

I have some updates since that last message.  The best copy of the
Berkeley storages now lives in the head of the ZODB 3.1 branch.  We
intended to bring up new.zope.org on this storage, using this branch and
Zope 2.6 but we couldn't get the hardware in place in time, due to an
illness.  We intend to migrate nzo to Berkeley full storage sometime
when there's time <wink>.

ZODB 3.1 head hasn't been officially released yet.  I'm hoping Tim
Peters will have the time to port the code into ZODB 3.2 so that it'll
make it into that release too.  I personally have zero time to do this.

Note that Berkeley storages won't be part of Zope 2.6, but I hope it is
part of Zope 2.7.  Still, it isn't difficult to grab ZODB 3.1 from CVS
and install it over the ZODB in Zope 2.6, and then write a simple
custom_zodb.py to bring up a BDBFullStorage instead of a FileStorage.  I
run Zope this way when I do my testing.

HTH,
-Barry