ZODB 3.1.3 releases (was [ZODB-Dev] Importing large .zexp fails with ZEO)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Aug 25 11:34:29 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 10:02, Andrew Sydelko wrote:
> And someone seems to have snuck a ZODB 3.1.3 release out without
> any announcement.

I'm happy to announce that ZODB 3.1.3 was released last week.  This
release improves the stability of the 3.1 series.  It includes several
bug fixes for ZEO, many improvement to the Berkeley storages, and a bug
fix for ExtensionClass comparisons.  I've attached the release notes
below.

It is available from the usual place:
http://www.zope.org/Products/ZODB3.1

The lists were down when we made the release, so we didn't even bother.

Jeremy

What's new in ZODB3 3.1.3?
==========================
Release date: 18-Aug-2003

Fixed several critical ZEO bugs.

- If a storage server fails or times out between the vote and the
  finish, the ZEO cache could get populated with objects that didn't
  make it to the storage server.

- If a client loses its connection to the server near the end of a
  transaction, it is now guaranteed to get a ClientDisconnected error
  even if it reconnects before the transaction finishes.  This is
  necessary because the server will always abort the transaction.
  In some cases, the client would never see an error for the aborted
  transaction.

- In tpc_finish(), reordered the calls so that the server's tpc_finish()
  is called (and must succeed) before we update the ZEO client cache.

- The storage name is now prepended to the sort key, to ensure a
  unique global sort order if storages are named uniquely.  This
  can prevent deadlock in some unusual cases.

A variety of fixes and improvements to Berkeley storage (aka BDBStorage)
were back-ported from ZODB 4.  This release now contains the most
current version of the Berkeley storage code.  Many tests have been
back-ported, but not all.

Modified the Windows tests to wait longer at the end of ZEO tests for
the server to shut down.  Before Python 2.3, there is no waitpid() on
Windows, and, thus, no way to know if the server has shut down.  The
change makes the Windows ZEO tests much less likely to fail or hang,
at the cost of increasing the time needed to run the tests.

Fixed a bug in ExtensionClass when comparing ExtensionClass instances.
The code could raise RuntimeWarning under Python 2.3, and produce
incorrect results on 64-bit platforms.

Fixed bugs in Tools/repozo.py, including a timing-dependent one that
could cause the following invocation of repozo to do a full backup when
an incremental backup would have sufficed.

Added Tools/README.txt that explains what each of the scripts in the
Tools directory does.

There were many small changes and improvements to the test suite.