[ZODB-Dev] Pickles in a pickle

Roché Compaan roche at upfrontsystems.co.za
Sun Aug 31 11:09:10 EDT 2003

Hi there,

I wrote a ZODB Storage that borrows behaviour from FileStorage,
DirectoryStorage and ClientStorage - I call it MonkeyStorage since it
stores it bananas all over the place ;-) It extends FileStorage to store
transactions on the filesystem additionally and connects to ZEO server
to get new oids and invalidate changed ones.

It periodically replicates transactions written to the filesystem to
other clients and injects them in their local FileStorage. Clients are
allowed to read invalidated records but they can't change them. If they
try to they are kindly informed that the have to try again later.

So far everything works well, except for injecting the replicated
pickles in a client's FileStorage. Let say that I add a folder in the
app root of clientX and replicate this to clientY. In this case the app
root container will be invalidated and the app root and the new folder
will be replicated. I hoped that simply updating the app root pickle
and uploading the data for the new folder will make the new folder show
up since the container's child references are updated. Is there anything
wrong with this assumption? What else needs to be done?

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za