[ZODB-Dev] RE: IIBTree.multiunion and list comprehensions (Tim Peters)

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Mon Dec 15 14:00:54 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 10:02:33AM +0100, Gfeller Martin wrote:
> >> I wonder what's the canonical `extreme ZODB.BTrees application', if
> >> such a thing exists.
>
> >I indeed expect that catalogs build the biggest BTrees normally seen in
> >practice.
>
> B-Trees in Quantax consist of a few hundred up to 100000 (rather
> complex) objects.

That's great to hear. Do you have any performance tips to share when
dealing with the very large ones? What sort of keys do you use in your
BTrees?

We have a fairly simple indexing setup in IndexedCatalog, but as our
first large-scale application grows towards release, I've been doing a
lot of benchmarking and profiling of the slower tasks with some fairly
large BTrees -- up to 50K items currently. Most of the objects aren't
too complex, but the profile runs still put Connection.setstate right
there at #1 (60% of the total time!) when doing our `slow-as-molasses'
test. Pushing and keeping that down is my current goal.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 261 2331