[ZODB-Dev] Ape + ZEO

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Mon Dec 15 14:13:56 EST 2003

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

>     Silly question 1: what's the general speed compared to a regular
>     `pickled' ZODB over FileStorage?

It can't be quantified.  You can only measure specific uses of Ape, since
the time is likely to be dominated by serialization code and interaction
with the database.

>     Silly question 2: one thing I've noticed is that the ZODB takes time
>     to load object state (Connection.setstate and Storage.load) from the
>     database -- would it be possible to load portions of the state
>     lazily when using APE, given that it would now be possible to grab
>     a value for the specific attribute referenced and not the whole blob?

Actually, Ape doesn't change this.  Ape inherits ZODB's mechanism for
I'll borrow some terminology I think I heard from Jeremy: to turn
second-class persistent objects (which get stored with their container)
into first-class persistent objects (which get stored in a separate
record), subclass Persistent.

Shane