[ZODB-Dev] Obtaining data from objects in ZODB without recreating objects

Jeff Sasmor jsasmor@gte.net
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:46:21 -0500

It seems as if it would be possible, with a bit of work, to
use the ZODB's index to traverse thru the ZODB
to a particular object:
(e.g., root->container->object )
without actually going thru the 'normal' process of recreating
the objects in the traversal path or even the target object.

This would allow one to obtain data held as an
attribute of that object without recreating the object (saves
time and memory) - handy if the attr is a text string, a
marshalled code object, etc.

As I am beginning to research this I thought it would make
a little sense to ask if anyone else has ever done this sort of
thing.

There are a number of hints as to how to begin from
various ZODB tools and the new pickletools.py module,
but clearly it will be a chore.

Anyone else ever done anything like this? Or if someone
wants to tell me that it's impossible that would save
time, too ;-) Although I have to get this to work anyway...
Jeff Sasmor
jeff@sasmor.com