[ZODB-Dev] AdaptableStorage and ZClass instances

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:09:43 -0500

Rocky Burt wrote:
> My first impression is that the referred Modeling project is overkill
> for what we need.  My suggestion would be to go the route of factoring
> out the sql for database compliance for "default" mapping (the mapping
> that already exists).

Yes, you're probably right: Modeling does a lot that AdaptableStorage
does differently.  I haven't done anything more than look at the web
page, though. :-)

> For people adding their own mappings (for their own objects), they will
> want complete control on how the data is stored in the db.  I'd suggest
> AdaptableStorage provide only a framework for this.  Maybe some sort of
> a "define a sql statement for each of these functions" type thing:
>   1) inserting an object
>   2) deleting an object
>   3) updating an object
>
> What I'm envisioning is a really simplified version of J2EE EJB BMP.
> (and yes, i'm from java-land, but I like this land better ;))
>
> J2EE = Java2 Enterprise Edition
> EJB = Enterprise JavaBeans
> BMP = Bean Managed Persistence

That sounds appealing, and I think it would work.  Most of the SQL
specific code could be genericized with only a little effort.  Look at
SQLObjectData.py, for example: its only responsibility is to load/store
a string in a table, indexed by key.  That obviously shouldn't require
74 lines of code.

> ps. I suspect many people will just go ahead and use the default
> mappings anyhow.

Agreed.

Shane