[ZODB-Dev] DBTab mounts

Rocky Burt rocky.burt@bricsnet.com
19 Feb 2003 11:23:06 -0500

On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 07:36, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Chris Withers wrote:
>
> > Shane Hathaway wrote:
> > >
> > > mount_paths=/Plone/Data
> > >
> > > Change it temporarily to this:
> > >
> > > mount_paths=/Plone/Data; /PloneTemp:/Plone
> >
> > Don't think I've seen this syntax for DBTab.conf before, is it
> > documented anywhere?
>
> Yes, in dbtab.conf.in.
>
> Shane

Ahh, things are sooo much clearer now.
After reading your instructions on what to do, I was thoroughly confused
as to how it all actually works.  But now, after reading the dbtab.conf.in
section on mount_paths syntax (several times) I now understand.

Before I understood what was happening, I assumed that the default for:
  mount_paths=/mypath
was actually doing:
  mount_path=/mypath:/
but, in fact, it is doing:
  mount_path=/mypath:/mypath

I didn't realize it was possible to mount different places of the "other"
zodb.  I assumed you could only mount the root of the "other" zodb at any point
in your current zodb.

But this is actually a great deal more flexible (and slightly more complicated)
then I originally thought.  This also means that whatever object you're
mounting in the "other" zodb will become the same meta_type as the actual
mount point in the first zodb instance.  And now I finally understand how
your explanation of how to accomplish my /Plone/Data thing actually works.

Thanks for the info and the great flexibility!

But, on a related note, I'd suggest restructuring your documentation slightly
somehow to make more obvious that a person needs to read the original
dbtab.conf.in file in order to make any sense of the syntax.  I'd suggest
separating that logic out into a SYNTAX.txt or something file and making
a reference in README.txt to see SYNTAX.txt for info on the syntax of
dbtab.conf and let dbtab.conf.in just be a sample file rather than a sample
file "plus" docs on syntax.

Having installed AdaptableStorage and DBTab simultaneously, I followed
AdaptableStorage's installation instructions which created a fresh
dbtab.conf so I had never even looked into dbtab.conf.in.

But again, I feel it necessary to give you great thanks for making such an
extremely flexible and powerful product.

Regards,
Rocky (r0ky)