[ZODB-Dev] Re: AS: Zope without Data.fs

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 16:35:16 +0000

[moving to zodb-list]

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> I kinda like the idea of a Zope without a Data.fs, so I tried mounting
>> an AS FS-mapper at the root, instead of somewhere else.
>>
> I tried this myself and discovered the following:
>
> - The Control_Panel hacks around ZODB, making life difficult for
> AdaptableStorage.  I added a quick workaround.

Is this workaround in AdaptableStorage?

> - AdaptableStorage was trying to store mounted objects rather than mount
> points.  I knew it would, but until now, I didn't mind. :-)  This is the
> bug you ran into.  The fix involved a change to both AdaptableStorage
> and the Zope HEAD.

Hmmm... what version of Zope will that HEAD land in? How big was that change?
(I'm thinking of pleading to send it 2.6.x-wards if it's tiny...)

> - We need to store ZGlobals somehow.

What is that / are they?

> - Zope tries to import Examples.zexp, but AS doesn't import yet.
> Workaround: delete Examples.zexp. :-)

Who added that functionality? Auto-importing, like auto-adding of things like
error-log, etc, is a deeply broken thought process, IMHO...

> All things considered, I don't want to support AS as a replacement for
> the root database.

I would, but I may not have the pre-requisite knowledge. If I do take this on,
do you reckon you'd be able ot help me out with the tricky stuff?

This is a big use-case for me. People who already have big relational data
sources but who'd like to script/template in Zope using ZPT, Python Scripts and
ZSQL methods don't want to have to worry about backing up their 'code' from
Data.fs, especially when they already know how to back up their relational back
end, are people I'd like to help...

>  Not without significant changes to Zope.

What kind of changes would be necessary?

cheers,

Chris