[ZODB-Dev] Support for graceful ZODB Class renaming

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 16:20:56 -0500

> >   3. A more sophisticated approach is to build a table, stored in the
> >      database providing a two-way mapping between a unique id and a
> >      class module and name.
>
> An interesting idea.  I'm guessing that reducing the pickle sizes might
> help performance.

But we have another idea for reducing pickle sizes.  I'm planning a
new version of the pickle protocol that is much more efficient for
pickling new-style classes.  Since it's a new protocol version,
there's room for other improvements too.  One of those other
improvements will be a global registration of "pickle extension codes"
where certain classes can be designated by a two- or three-byte code.

(I'm writing a description of the new pickle protocol, but I have to
finish some other Zope work first.  I expect this to be in 2.3a2
though.)