[ZODB-Dev] Support for graceful ZODB Class renaming

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 11:50:09 +0000

On Saturday 18 January 2003 2:26 pm, Pieter Nagel wrote:

> The problem domain has a concept - Portfolio, say - and one codes a
> Portfolio class. Later one realises that this object actually only
> embodies one's holdings in a fund, and renames it to FundAccount. But t=
he
> original Portfolio concept is still hanging in the air; at a future poi=
nt
> of development one finally embodies it in code - whammo! reusing the ol=
> name.

Only if you have broken the rule:

> >      A bother with this approach is that the aliases need to be
> > maintained as long as the old pickles exist in the database, which co=
uld
> > be indefinitely.
>
> Yuck.

necessary yuk if you choose that approach. XP and cruft dont mix well.

> I think this could easily happen, especialy in iterative development
> styles like XP where one tends to change the code a lot.

I assume that other classes would have self.my_portfolio attributes that =
you=20
would also want to rename? How do you cope with this?

--=20
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson