[ZODB-Dev] Advice On ZODB

Magnus Lycka magnus@thinkware.se
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:54:07 +0100

At 15:06 2003-01-24 +0000, John Abel wrote:
>Sorry if this is a dumb question, or the wrong place for this.  I wish to
>use ZODB as a small DB, initially with one connection, but I hope to
>expand it with ZEO.  I wish to store several types of records, however,
>they may have the same "key".  Basically, I do I split up my data, into
>something like tables

With ZODB, it might be better to use a more tree-like,
object oriented approach. If you really want tables,
something like SQLite might be a better fit for your
application.

I think an object-oriented database is suitable if you
work with an object-oriented approach and want to make
it easy to traverse an object structure. This is useful
if there are many and varying relationships between
objects.

If you, on the other hand, have a tabular set of data,
and what to perform queries and aggregations on these
data sets, I don't think anything beats a relational
database. SQLite (and Gadfly) are easy to embed in
python programs. They don't need any standalone server.

Other (non-SQL) options are bsddb and MetaKit
(http://www.equi4.com/metakit/python.html).

--
Magnus Lycka, Thinkware AB
Alvans vag 99, SE-907 50 UMEA, SWEDEN