[ZODB-Dev] ZEO and Twisted

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Tue Jul 15 00:56:19 EDT 2003

On 07/11/2003 09:04 AM, Syver Enstad wrote:
> We are using ZODB together with Twisted, for scalability reasons I had a
> thought that we could use ZEO instead. Is this possible, have anybody
> any experiences with using ZEO and Twisted?

I'm surprised no one else answered, so here's my simple input.  ZEO uses
asyncore as its foundation, and it would be a little difficult to swap
that out, if that's what you mean.  But if mean you want to base your
application on Twisted while leaving ZEO unchanged, you should be able
to do that just fine.  ZEO runs its own threads, so you can safely use
Twisted in one thread while ZEO runs asyncore in another.

In fact, you'll be better off than if you decided to base your
application on asyncore.  ZEO has a design issue that prevents it from
functioning properly with simple asyncore applications.  Your
application would have to combine the event-driven and thread models
like Zope does in order for ZEO to work--unless you hack ZEO like I did
for my little desktop ZODB application.  I'll spare you the ugly
details. ;-)

Shane