[ZODB-Dev] Commit or lock object accross transactions

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Jul 16 17:18:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 11:58, Roché Compaan wrote:
> I am aware of this. What I meant to say is that I don't want to make
> all the modifications in transaction X visible to other transactions. I
> only want to make the increment to the object counter visible to prevent
> other transactions from grabbing the same object id.

Transactions are the unit of update.  It's logically impossible to
commit part of a transaction, because transactions are, by definition,
an all or nothing affair.

If you want to increment the object counter, you need to do it in a
separate transaction.  You'd need to use a separate database connection
for the object id counter.

Jeremy