[ZODB-Dev] ZODB3 3.3 alpha 1 released

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Thu Jul 17 22:48:07 EDT 2003

[Neil Schemenauer]
> Yay new-style classes, boo to ExtensionClass (although you served us
> well).  Is the on disk DB format the same between 3.2 and 3.3?  If
> not, is there some tool that converts a DB that uses 3.2
> ExtensionClass persistent objects to the 3.3 format?

Hey, we're still trying to figure out how to get 3.3a1 not to segfault under
Python 2.2.3 <wink>.  Since we intend that 3.3 eventually get used with (the
then-current) Zope2 too, there will have to be a painless way to use a
database created under 3.2.  I know I haven't done any work in that
direction yet, and I don't think Jeremy has yet either.  There was no
intentional change from the ZODB 3.2 DB format, but how a pickle of an
instance of an ExtensionClass type will get read up when ExtensionClass no
longer exists is something we haven't investigated.  It's possible we'll
have to reimplement ExtensionClass as just another flavor of new-style
class.