Metadata in zope / binary data on FS, was Re: [ZODB-Dev] __del__ with Persistent objects

Toby Dickenson tdickenson at geminidataloggers.com
Tue Jul 22 14:24:57 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 13:23, Chris Withers wrote:
> Toby Dickenson wrote:
> > Alternatively, squid may be able to help in another way. You could make
> > your files cacheable with
> > "Cache-Control:public,s-maxage=0,proxy-revalidate".... That allows shared
> > caches to store the file, but *always* check authorization with the Zope
> > origin server. On the second and subsequent request, the file body will
> > be served by squid.
>
> How would Squid check authorization with Zope other than by getting the
> original file, which is what we're trying to avoid?
>
> cheers,
>
> Chris

Squid also sends and If-Modified-Since header based on the timestamp stored in
it cache.

Zope responds to Squid with 304 Not Modified (unless the file really has
changed)

Squid responds to the client with a 200, and sends the data from its cache.

--
Toby Dickenson - http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson

Want a job like mine?  http://www.geminidataloggers.com/jobs for Software
Engineering jobs at Gemini Data Loggers in Chichester, West Sussex, England