[ZODB-Dev] Synchronizing Mirror Sites

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Tue Jul 22 14:47:05 EDT 2003

Norfleet, Sheppard S. wrote:
> Well this application is a document collaboration tool using CMF,
> CMFStaging, ZopeRepository, CMFPlone, and PloneStaging.
>
> What complications do you forsee pursuing application level replication.
> Should I include another base class in the base content type to support
> replication?

Well, I didn't realize you were working with a large code base.  This
kind of replication would require you to change nearly the entire
application.  That's probably not feasible unless you can somehow limit
the changes that need to be replicated.

> Also, what are you thoughts on using OracleStorage and Oracle Replication?

That solution might help, but it still won't let you merge changes to
objects.  Merging objects requires something that has knowledge of
object internals.  Ape is trying to fill that need, but it's not an easy
task.

I would recommend searching for a way to make the problem simpler.  If
real-time replication is a possibility (as opposed to intermittent
replication), ZRS or simply ZEO might do the trick.  If you can engineer
the application so that nodes write only to specific parts of the
database, you can merge in a coarse-grained way.  And if you can throw
big hardware at the problem, that's usually the least expensive solution.

Shane