[ZODB-Dev] ZODB Guide Feedback

Thomas Guettler guettli at thomas-guettler.de
Tue Jun 3 00:08:05 EDT 2003

Dear ZODB Developer

I read the ZODB/ZEO Programming Guide, and would like to give you
some feedback.

 - Some sentences about ZODB4 would be nice.

 - A sentence about db.pack() could be added (FAQ: Why is my data.fs so big?)

 - By changes I noticed that there is a check method for btrees. Would
   be nice to add this to the chapter "BTree Packages"

 - Chapter Installing ZODB:
  AFAIK StandaloneZODB is deprecated, and you should use the versions
  from cvs.zope.org.

 - Since Andrew Kuchling is no longer mainting this guide, you should update
   the feedback address.

 - Please explain "Metakit" in 2.3 (Opening a ZODB)

 - Is the apparently unnecessary "import ZODB" still needed for ZODB4?

 - After "Some Special Methods Don't Work":
   "Perhaps Python2.2 will repair this ...."
   Did Python2.2 repair this? I think yes.

 - In chapter "How ZEO Works":
   "ClientStorage aggressively caches objects locally, so in order
    to avoid using stale data. The ZEO server sends ..."
   I am not a native speaker, but is the period after "data" correct?

 - Chapter BTrees: "difference(), union() and difference()"
   I think you mean intersection().

 - Chapter BTrees: "... it's curcial that the class define a __cmp__()
   method". This sentence conflicts with "There is no good solution to
   this problem at the moment, so all you can do is design class
   interfaces that don't need to overload __cmp__" (from "Some Special
   Methods Don't Work")

 - It would be nice to name some scripts from the tools directory
   (analyze.py or fsrecover.py)

Thank you very much for this guide!

 thomas

--