[ZODB-Dev] Using BerkeleyDB

Richard Jones richard at commonground.com.au
Tue Jun 3 13:53:13 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 12:34 PM, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> On 06/02/2003 09:35 PM, Richard Jones wrote:
>> Having said that, I poked around the ZODB3 CVS for a while using
>> viewcvs, and it appears that BDBStorage is in there. I get the
>> feeling that it's going to replace  bsddb3Storage? If so, are there
>> any hints as to using it?
>
> Try using the instructions in DBTab (dbtab.conf.in).  I made an effort
> to keep them coherent. ;-)

Thanks for the pointer - I'll have a look over it. In the mean time,
I've made a little more headway poking around in other places...

It appears BDBStorage is also in the Zope 2.7 CVS (my current target
environment). I quite successfully managed to overlook it when poking
around before. Now that I have it in place, and I've guessed the
configuration of the additional store:

<zodb_db main>
    <filestorage>
      path $INSTANCE/var/Data.fs
    </filestorage>
    mount-point /
    cache-size                     5000
    pool-size                      7
    version-pool-size              3
    version-cache-size             100
</zodb_db>
<zodb_db undoless>
    <minimalstorage>
      name testingbdb
      logdir $INSTANCE/var
    </minimalstorage>
    mount-point /undoless
    cache-size                     5000
    pool-size                      7
    version-pool-size              3
    version-cache-size             100
</zodb_db>

Zope starts up just fine (and I know it is parsing the second section,
as I get errors when I get it wrong ;)

I'm doing something wrong though (or not doing enough) because the
undoless mount point doesn't appear in the Zope instance. I'm kinda
poking around in the dark still. I also have no idea where the "env" is
supposed to come from - so if it actually is creating the BDB database
for me, I have no idea where it is on disk...

I noticed that there's descriptions of the BDB configuration parameters
in the BDBStorage/* source files - would it be appropriate to copy them
over to the ZODB component.xml file? I'd be happy to do it. This info
seems closely related to the DBTab conf.in docs (funny, that ;)

I'm going to write up the results of all this into a mini-HOWTO.
Probably belongs in the half-started Zope Administrator's Guide...

Time for some lunch before I start back into it :)

     Richard