[ZODB-Dev] Very Weird Behaviour :-(

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Jun 13 23:21:43 EDT 2003

Chris Withers wrote at 2003-6-12 15:48 +0100:
 > Toby Dickenson wrote:
 > >
 > >>Well, the Version Management section in the control panel says no non-empty
 > >>versions. So, I'm guessing this exploit wasn't the cause?
 > >

 > > Bad guess. Zope creates a connection cache object in memory for each version
 > > specified by a request, even if the storage contains no objects in that
 > > version.
 >
 > So how do you tell if you've been hit by that exploit?

Whenever your Zope eats too much memory, you should have a look
at the "Debug information" page in your "Control_Panel".
It has a section "Top Refcounts". When your high memory usage
is caused by Python instances, you may see a class with
unexpectedly many references (that's what is shown it this section).

Dieter