[ZODB-Dev] storage comparison feature matrix

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jun 16 13:42:58 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 06:23, Toby Dickenson wrote:
> On Friday 13 June 2003 13:52, Jean Jordaan wrote:
>
> > I think this will be very interesting. In fact, we were wishing for
> > one today!
>
> Attached.
>
> Please dont publish this version; I would prefer that it not be public until
> the other storage developers have a change to edit it.

Quick notes:

- BDBStorages should work on Windows, out-of-the-box with Python 2.3,
with manual install of BerkeleyDB and PyBSDDB in Python 2.2.

- Variants: ZODB4's MemoryStorage is built on the BDBStorage code, with
an in-memory compatibility layer to the bsddb module API.

- External dependencies: I would recommend:
  1) Python 2.3 + BerkeleyDB 4.1.25
  2) Python 2.2.3 + BerkeleyDB 4.1.25 + PyBSDDB 4.1.4

- Memory requirements: add that there is much tunability at the
BerkeleyDB layer.

- (side note: Data.fs backup can be performed with the repozo.py script,
but the script has been under-tested).

- (there has been no testing of any BerkeleyDB replication w.r.t.
BDBStorage)

- (there are no BDBStorage checking or dumping tools at this time, but
note that BerkeleyDB has some tools in this regard to sanity check
tables at the lower layer).

- Recovery after power loss includes committing any transactions that
had passed the tpc_vote phase.