[ZODB-Dev] StandaloneAdaptableStorage

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 10:31:20 -0500

Nick Pavlica wrote:
> adp_strg ?
>
> On Monday 03 March 2003 5:08 am, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>>Shane Hathaway wrote:
>>
>>>I'm planning to make AdaptableStorage usable outside Zope.  The only
>>>obstacle (seriously!) is figuring out how to package it.  I'd like a
>>>top-level package name, short and lowercase.  Any suggestions?
>>
>>as ?

Ugh... "as" is a keyword, and the other is awfully hard to type and
remember. :-)  Again, this software is for more than storage, it's for
import, export, synchronization, etc., so AdaptableStorage is only a
temporary name.

Brainstorming:

- mapper: this is a name I'm using already, but it might be too easily
confused with the Python "mapping" concept.

- zope.mapper: this would fit Zope 3 conventions, but I'd have to
constantly battle the assumption that the package is for Zope only.

- zopelibs.mapper: this would be nice if Zope 3 changed the name of its
top-level "zope" package to "zopelibs". :-)

- objectmapper: maybe, but this name doesn't emphasize that it's a
component system.

- sas: short for "StandaloneAdaptableStorage", but again, I want to drop
"storage".

- omf: short for "object mapping framework", but perhaps too much like
"CMF" :-)

- tom: short for "toolkit for object mapping".  Cute and easy to
remember, but the acronym is a stretch.

Shane