[ZODB-Dev] FileStorage database unrecoverable?

Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:09:52 +0100

(cc list trimmed)

On Saturday 29 March 2003 1:38 am, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Toby Dickenson wrote at 2003-3-28 08:22 +0000:
>  > ...
>  > For a 10G FileStorage you might need up to 1G of ram to hold
>  > FileStorage's index. If thats OK, then FileStorage will be hard to beat.
>
> Is this still true for Zope 2.6.1?
>
>    I read that the index is no longer held in a dictionary but some
>    BTree structure only partial in RAM.

Some recent versions use a BTree that is linearly smaller than the old
dictionary, but still all held in main memory. It looks like it *may* have
better locality and so perform better when some of that index is moved into
swap, but that is just a guess.

This 'fsindex' feature was added, accidentally removed  during a branch merge,
then re-added. Im not sure exectly which versions use what.

--
Toby Dickenson
http://www.geminidataloggers.com/people/tdickenson