[ZODB-Dev] Re: [IndexedCatalog] Zope or no Zope?

Christian Reis kiko at async.com.br
Thu May 8 13:31:57 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 03:26:51PM +0200, Marcus J. Ertl wrote:
> >Doesn't Zope already offer ZCatalog or ObjectHub which does this sort of
> >thing for you? A while back Casey at least suggested this to me.
>
> Yes and now! In Zope2.x is allready a ZCatalog out of the box
> integrated. In Zope3 at this time not! (It's still pre alpha!)
> ObjectHub is a little bit different, it only allows you to locate your
> object through a id! But now searches like "query('attr >= 16')"!

I suppose some people don't like the idea of a string query language,
but I am challenged to come up with a better solution. Even the %o hack
is justified. And IC has made it so it is theoretically possible to plug
in other syntaxes, if it bothers you enough.

> Developer are just discussion how they should implement such a
> functionality! I think, later, the will come up, with such a
> funcionality.
>
> But perhabs, IC will work fine, and we/they just need to integrate it!

I've spoken to Sidnei about this today. I'm of the opinion that, Shelf
excluded, most of IC might fit in nicely with Zope. Shelf is really for
people rolling their own, but I see no problem with the rest of the
code.

Anybody on ZODB-dev have an opinion on this?

Take care,