[ZODB-Dev] Is there an official patch for the problems with packing and data loss?

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Tue May 13 16:44:33 EDT 2003

[Joachim Werner]
> This is a very important issue that should be addressed with a high
> priority.

I think you can tell now that it is.

> People really get scared about ZODB ... - I for myself don't
> trust it any more :-(

Well, databases are complex pieces of software, and complex software has
bugs.  Defensive practices, like frequent backups, are always appropriate.
The recently fixed bugs in FileStorage packing have been there a long time,
and it's a measure of their infrequency and obscurity that it's taken such a
long time for the cause to be found.  All that time, lots of people got lots
of value out of FileStorage despite these bugs.  I predict that even more
people will get even more value out of the new release, despite its
(currently unknown) bugs too <0.9 wink>.