[ZODB-Dev] Preventing a folder from being packed

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Fri May 16 10:59:34 EDT 2003

Toby Dickenson wrote:
> On Friday 16 May 2003 4:28 am, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>Echoing Sean's point, at ZC we have lately followed a pattern of using
>>mounted databases because different parts of the object system have
>>different database requirements.  Catalogs, sessions, and Wikis all get
>>mounted for different reasons.  Packing characteristics are only one
>>dimension.
>
> How do you avoid synchronisation problems across undo when Catalogs are in
> their own storage?

In theory, we could set some transaction metadata that links
transactions from multiple databases together.  The undo feature would
look for the special tag and transparently undo in other databases
simultaneously.

In practice, we've just ignored undo synchronization issues for now. :-)
  Seriously, the synchronization tends to not matter much.  The need for
undo is rare.  Also, catalogs have had minor issues long enough that
catalogs are now pretty robust in the face of synchronization errors.

Shane