[ZODB-Dev] ZODB-level indexing

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Nov 5 12:52:59 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 12:30, Steve Alexander wrote:
> > Instead of integrating it
> > at the ZODB level, you might create a separate index application; it
> > would be just another application as far as ZODB is concerned.  You
> > could run it on the same machine as the ZEO server and communicate with
> > it via some kind of RPC (XML_RPC? CORBA?).
>
> Or just use HTTP. (POST, PUT, GET, DELETE).
>
> Oops, wrong forum :-)

We could just drop the current ZEO protocol and implement it via POST,
PUT, GET, DELETE.  That would be simpler.

Oops, the argument clinic is next door :-).

> > One question is: Should the client send queries and get results or just
> > load the index objects directly?  It's not obvious to me which solution
> > is better.

It is, but there are a lot of complicated things we do in order to
increase performance and scalability.  An index server might be another
example.

Jeremy