[ZODB-Dev] [Bug] Temporary connections go into "pool" on "close"

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Mon Nov 10 15:00:31 EST 2003

Jeremy Hylton wrote at 2003-11-10 14:17 -0500:
 > I don't have any experience programming with temporary connections, and
 > there are not tests of them IIRC.  I'd be happy to accept patches to
 > improve them for 3.3, perhaps even for 3.2.1.  In the interim, I
 > wouldn't recommend using them.  They sound like either an experimental
 > feature that was never finished or an old feature that has decayed in
 > quality over time.

Some of the problems I detected for temporary connections
may affect normal (pooled) connections as well.

This is especially true for the hard problem I am now working
on. Something apparently related to the pickle cache prevents this
cache to go away when the (temporary) connection is closed.
This leaks both the connection and the (potentially huge)
pickle cache.

For normal (pooled) connections, a similar thing may happen
in "ZODB.Connection.Connection._resetCache".
Hopefully, this is called only rarely.

However, we see our Zope processes to steadily eat more
RAM and become slower and slower (almost proportional to
the amount of RAM they have eaten).
Maybe, my pickle cache inspection leads to some insight into
this behaviour.

--
Dieter