[ZODB-Dev] zodb best practices

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Oct 2 17:46:52 EDT 2003

I am considering using zodb for a website I'm building.
(vs. MySQL)

It seems from basic reading that:

It might be wise to partition my data into primarily-read-only (pro) and
more-write-intensive (mwi)databases.
examples: pro-db being like a catalog, only written to for corrections
or additions  mwi-db could be like a bboard or wiki.
Both very read oriented but one with much more writes than the other.

The dataset will be reasonably large 1-10 million items in the
catolog-like db with 1-10GB+ of data.

I can reasonably divide it up into categories for smaller DBs.
To my thinking that would speed up searches and data retrieval.
Would that be a reasonable approach?

Are there any practical upper bounds to db size with regard to
scalability or performance?

In other words how well does zodb perform on multi-gigabyte (4+gb)
databases which are primarily read-only?

Are there any significant advantages or disadvantages to either
maintaining a large dataset in a single db or dividing it into multiple
much smaller dbs?

example: 1 10gb db vs. 10 1gb dbs?

Any wisdom and advise you can share is greatly appreciated.

Jimmie Houchin