[ZODB-Dev] [ATTENTION] Quadratic runtime behaviour in ZEO protocol logging

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at zope.com
Wed Oct 29 00:39:10 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 14:12, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Yesterday, we observed quadratic runtime behaviour in
> "ZEO.zrpc.log.short_repr".
> As you may know, "repr(list)" (in Python 2.1.3) has quadratic runtime behaviour
> in the length of "list".

I didn't know the running time of repr() was quadratic.  It isn't in
modern Pythons.  So there are three options for addressing this:

- I added a fixed short_repr() to ZODB3 CVS trunk, and I'll backport it
to Zope-2_7-branch.  We're not planning to maintain ZEO on the
Zope-2_6-branch, though.

- Run Python with -O.

- Upgrade to a modern Python that has a linear repr().  Python 2.1.3 is
18 months old.

Jeremy