[ZODB-Dev] ZEO non-communication problem

Chris Withers chrisw at nipltd.com
Thu Sep 11 16:30:37 EDT 2003

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> I think there have been problems in the past with interactions between
> Python's import lock and dbtab.

I had a Google but couldn't find anything, have you got any links to
descriptions of this?

> You always run the top-level module or
> package __init__ code on import.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...

> If that causes a chain of imports
> where the same module is imported twice, you will get a deadlock.

OK. I've tried the same setup on Windows with no problems. Would that indicate
this isn't the problem?

> You may be able to check this by running python -v, but I don't recall
> how exactly it prints import status.  You could also attach to the
> dormant Zope process with gdb and see where it's threads are sitting.

Eeep. Hmmm... suppose I should bite the bullet and learn this some time, any
how-to's around? Where are the docs for gdb? Won't that give me C-ish stuff? Hwo
do I relate that back to Python?

cheers,

Chris