[ZODB-Dev] ZODB

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Mon Sep 15 15:31:59 EDT 2003

Lierni Uribesalgo wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to know some things about ZODB.
> What kind of database is (server/client or embedded)?

It is most often embedded in a Python program, but you can also connect
ZODB to a ZEO server.

> Is it free or do I have to pay something for it? If I have to pay for
> it, how much does it cost?

Both ZODB and ZEO are free and open source software.

> Does it support queries?

Only if you design the object system to allow queries.  ZODB is not a
relational database, it's an object database.  ZODB does not contain
tables and rows, but rather one large collection of pickled Python objects.

> I would be so grateful if you could answer to my address as soon as you
> could.

I hope my answers helped.  If you tell us (the subscribers of the ZODB
development mailing list) what you're trying to accomplish, we may be
able to provide better answers.

Shane