[ZODB-Dev] ZODB _v_ attributes are tricky

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Tue Apr 6 15:10:41 EDT 2004

In the can't-tell-without-trying department:

There's a ton of useful info shared on this mailing list by experienced
users.  It's very hard to find again.  So, I started a Wiki with the hope
that experienced users will edit it directly, creating an ever-improving
repository of "secret knowledge".  If and when pages settle down, they'll be
candidates for folding into the ZODB/ZEO Programming Guide:

    http://zope.org/Members/tim_one/ZODBTopics/

There are currently two topic pages, initially populated by mushing together
the content of recent zodb-dev postings:

    VolatileAttributes -- the semantics and pragmatics of _v_ attributes.

    UnloadingObjects -- when does a persistent object's state get purged
                        from memory?

Please feel encouraged to edit pages directly.  IME, Wiki pages become
unhelpful when they degenerate into long lists of appended comments.  If
something's wrong, or unclear, or incomplete, please just change it
in-place.  Similarly, if someone asks a question in a comment that gets
answered later, I won't hesitate to delete the original comment.  Etc.

BTW, "structured text" drives me nuts.  The format of the current pages is
driven solely by what didn't look terrible after trying a dozen things that
didn't work.  If you can talk the system into producing structure that's
more reasonable, feel encouraged to do that too.