[ZODB-Dev] ZODB Intro

Harm Kirchhoff harm.kirchhoff at web.de
Sun Apr 18 06:18:46 EDT 2004

When I started with Zope, I was really only interested in the ZODB.

The start with ZODB was a difficult one, because most of the literature
focuses on Zope's web capabilities. Comments on the ZODB are often only
by the way and oudated.

After having mastered the ZODB to a level that I can do what I want, I
sat down and wrote a small set of code examples for absolute beginners
to get started with the ZODB quicker and to avoid the frustrations I
had, spending hours to find out simple things.

I wonder:
a. Is there anyone with some deeper knowledge for the ZODB, who is
willing to give this very, very simple Intro a proof read, and
b. may be able to add some short technical background to give a rounder
picture.

The python module is about 730 lines, including a lot of cut an pastes
from the python command line and explanations + sources for additional
reading &c.
The code itself is really primitive because I tried to avoid anything
that goes beyond a beginner's understanding of python.
Probably the biggest problem for a ZODB guru would be to hold back and
not add all kind of complicating information to the module. (The BTree
part could do with one more example, though.)

I would try to have this module hosted on www.zope.org so that anyone
interested could find it more easily.