What do you tink of a package named "z"? (was Re: [ZODB-Dev] Re: Python module namespace pollution)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Apr 20 05:57:37 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> John Belmonte wrote:

> How would y'all feel about:
>
>   z.odb
>   z.transaction
>   z.persistent

I have two goals with this thread. :)

1. Think about how to address the namespace pollution that John mentioned.

    I really think it would be best, in the long run, to move all of these
    packages into a separate namespace package.  Perhaps there is too much
    intertia though.

    The transaction package *is* used by non-zodb clients in Zope. We have years
    of experience with this.

2. I want to try out the "z" name on a wider audience. We want people to find
    lots of Zope software usable outside of Zope. And I'm wondering if the use
    of a name like "z" for a container package would affect someone's decision
    about whether or not to use something in the package. I understand John's
    reaction to the "z". Claiming a single letter is a bit bold. But as I
    said in my other note, the leter "z" is already closely associated with Zope
    in the Python community and it seems very unlikely that someone else would
    want to use it.  (It's far less likely that someone would name a module
    "z" than it is that someone would name a module "persistent" or "transaction".
    I think "z" has some advantages, which I've listed in:
    http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/RenameTheZopePackage.

    This is an important decision for us.  I'd really appreciate some serious
    feedback on this decision.

Jim