[ZODB-Dev] Re: What do you tink of a package named "z"? (was Re: Re: Python module namespace pollution)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 21 12:13:17 EDT 2004

Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 09:53, Casey Duncan wrote:

> I think BTrees were under ZODB in ZODB 4.  I think it would be fine to
> put persistent and transaction under either ZODB and Zope.

I assume you mean "ZODB or zope".

I think it would be a little awkward to to have a top-level ZODB depend
subpackages of zope.

> As for the earlier question of "z.zodb" or "zope.zodb" or something
> else: The last time everything got renamed, we decided to keep "zodb"
> separate because it had an independent identity.

I think that was a lame reason.  I regret that decision.

Having something be a subpackage of zope doesn't really affect, not, IMO,
should it depend on it's identity.

A better reason for keeping a top-level ZODB package is that there
might be lots of code that depends on it, although I sort of doubt that.

> The previous renaming of everything result in the ZODB 4 arrangement:
>     zodb.zeo
>     zodb.btrees
>     zodb.storage
> The persistence and transaction packages were still at the top-level.  I
> think we hoped they would serve as standard packages -- not included in
> the standard library, but nonetheless used by several packages.  Since
> that's not going to happen now, they could be put somewhere else --
> inside of zodb or zope sounds fine.

It has happened, both in Zope 2 and Zope 3. There are many other packages
that cooperate with and depend (directly or indirectly) on the transaction
system.  It really makes a lot of sense to have a separate transaction package.

Jim