[ZODB-Dev] Maximum pool size considered harmful

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Apr 30 18:19:18 EDT 2004

Steve Alexander wrote:

>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Objections?
>

> Right now, if I make an error in an application and leak connections, I
>  will usually find out about it because something hangs, hopefully in a
> test.
>
> How will I find out about leaking connections under the new system?

Well, for starters, I think it will be harder to leak connections.
Unless you leak the connection in the sense of a "memory" leak,
the connection will just get garbage collected like any other
garbage Python object.  You could detect true leakage, just like
you could detect leakage of any other objects, for example
using the leak-detection facilities in test.py.

Is that enough?

Perhaps there should be a callback that gets called when a
connection is created. It could implement a policy of complaining
if the number of connections created exceeds some number.

Jim