[ZODB-Dev] zodb questions

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 06:52:44 EDT 2004

Dieter Maurer wrote:
>>1.. Can the security classes from zope be used without the full zope install? As
>>the applications are built on top of twisted should I just use there security model?
>
> Almost surely...
> However, it may take a bit of time to figure out what
> packages beside "AccessControl" need to be included...

Heh, good luck. I'd recommend starting with your own, simpler thing...

>>2.. Is there any guide lines or examples on how best to reference
>>files/documents in a zodb?
>
> The ZODB allows you to store the same object in different places.
> However, I would not recommend it:

Why not?

> it will probably be restricted in
> Zope 3

Oh? How so? The last time I had a peak, the ObjectHub had gone away and
Jim was talking about using real references to objects...

 > and in Zope 2 the objects appears to be in different places
> (the same object has different URLs, physical paths, ...).

Yeah, but this is just Zope making assumptions, if you're starting with
a fresh Twisted application, this isn't a problem...

> Usually, references are a path to the object.

Why?

> AT (and soon CMF) uses unique references to identify objects
> and a catalog search to locate the object.

Yeah, this is mind numbingly annoying for me. Aside from cross-storage
refereces (a wart which will hopefulyl soon get fixed by Jim ;-), why
are we coming up with new unique reference numbers for objects when ZODB
  already has them and is managing them for us?!

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk