[ZODB-Dev] BerkeleyStorage is gone - what now???

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Aug 4 10:19:38 EDT 2004

Christian Robottom Reis wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:41:10AM +0200, Harald Koschinski wrote:
>
>>   I can not understand the reasons for stopping BDB-Support at
>>   http://zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/BerkeleyStorageDocs/BDBStorage.html
>

> AFAIK the main reason it was dropped was that no one was available to
> actually invest time in BDBStorage maintenance. IIRC nobody cried out
> when it was scheduled for droppage.

I have no problem with distributing it separately.  It needs
a champion and maintainer.

It has what I consider to be a fatal flaw.  Because it doesn't
use BDB locks, the BDB tools for figuring out what log files are no longer
needed don't work.  Without the ability to manage log files, I don't
see it being very practically usable.

Jim