[ZODB-Dev] Re: Can't pack ZODB anymore

shan sverige aku at europe.com
Thu Aug 19 06:24:29 EDT 2004

> Please show the exact code you used, as a little Python program.  It's only
> a few lines of code.  Note that I didn't start with "an empty Data.fs",
> there was no file named Undamaged.fs when I started.  The code I showed
> created Undamaged.fs from scratch.  BTW, did fstest give *exactly* the same
> complaint about Undamaged.fs as it gave for the original Data.fs?  Or did it
> change (by even one character)?

problem solved !  see below

>>> import ZODB
>>> from ZODB.FileStorage import FileStorage
>>> bad = FileStorage('Data.fs')
>>> good = FileStorage('Undamaged.fs')
>>> good.copyTransactionsFrom(bad, verbose=True)
....lots of output.....
>>> good.close()

Now Undamaged.fs has the exact same size (151584969 bytes)
as Data.fs and fstest gives no errors. I immediately
packed my Data.fs successfully; it's now 27.7MB instead of 144.6MB

Tim - you made my day. Incredible thanks!

I'm considering moving to Directory storage anyway now.

> Would it be possible for me to get a copy of your damaged Data.fs?

I almost burned a CD to send it to you, but that isn't necessary anymore
now.

Shan